Please contact our Scuba Diving Instructors by live chat or phone 1-800-34-SCUBA. We are standing by to answer any of your Scuba Diving questions.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#4695 - 10/24/02 11:31 AM What are the favorite specialties out there?
BillL Offline
veteran

Loc: So. California, USA
I'm interested in some of the courses that divers liked the most, or courses they would like to see.

#4696 - 10/25/02 11:23 AM Re: What are the favorite specialties out there?
Mako Offline
veteran

Loc: Honolulu
Aloha Bill,
It's gotta be technical diving, I took my first class about 3 years ago and have been teaching it for about 2 years- typical dive- 3~400 foot vis, 82 degree water and BIG BIG critters 8)and as an avid shell collector lots of rare some unknown shells have been added to my collection, I've got some video if anyone's interested
Mako [Roll Eyes]

#4697 - 10/25/02 01:19 PM Re: What are the favorite specialties out there?
reefmonkey Offline
veteran

Loc: Houston, TX
My biggest problem is finding places in the Houston area that offer specialty courses. I would like to take wreck, then deep, navigation, cavern, and search and recovery.

#4698 - 12/28/02 10:06 AM Re: What are the favorite specialties out there?
kingPrawn Offline
avid diver

Loc: New Jersey
Bill,

While it sounds boring, the first specialty I recommend is NITROX. Once you feel comfortable in the water, stabilize your buoyancy, and start running out of Deco time rather than air, the next issue becomes “how do I get more bottom time?” Diving NITROX I get 20~50% more bottom time then my air breathing partners. Given a two dive boat trip is $70-$100, spending an extra $8 for NITROX seems a small price to pay for more bottom time.

Mako may be right about Tech, but over here on the East Coast, 20 ft of vis and 50 degree water is a good day. Tech divers here are diving deep wrecks like the Andrea Doria.

By the way, it sounds like you are asking questions just to get conversations going.

#4699 - 12/29/02 12:58 AM Re: What are the favorite specialties out there?
Greg Scubaholic Offline
veteran

Loc: PNW
I'd like to see more emergency search & recovery training. Especially for cold water. You know the scenario; Kid falls through thin ice, how to handle logistics, & how do you find him/her. Quick recovery can sometimes save them. I've been involved on body searches a few times, there isn't enough people trained for this.

#4700 - 01/15/03 04:48 AM Re: What are the favorite specialties out there?
ipddiver4 Offline
new diver

Loc: Indianapolis
Greg - I've been doing the police diver thing for about 5 years now. Our team has between 120-150 callouts a year. Unfortunately, even though intentions may be good, the dangers inherent in doing any kind of rescue would probably preclude doing them without SIGNIFICANT training and practice, especially when it comes to doing them under ice.
Our team has everyone in Viking drysuits, AGA full-face masks, with Buddyphone comm units, and a ton of specialized gear, from ropes to drop tanks, to search grids, and we hate diving under ice, due to the risk factors involved. Does that mean we don't do it? Absolutely not...just that ice dives are at the very bottom of our "OH BOY!! We get to dive!!" list. Add in zero vis, and it really sucks. Not only do you have to worry about everything else generally associated with diving, but you are now diving in an environment that is usually less that hospitable (rebar, trees, chemicals, etc.) Entanglement is always a concern for us. Add the fact that on ice dives, we are all tethered, and there is yet another possible entanglement point to worry about. Air goes more quickly, and gauges are almost impossible to see.
The bottom line is that although there have been SOME (very, very, very few) cold water rescues, and although the mammalian dive reflex is a wonderful theory, chances of a rescue are much closer to the "none" category, than to the "slim" category.
Now then, if it's your kid, these concerns will mean absolutely nothing...however, in an underwater under-ice search you are likely to add your body to the one we will already have to pull out.
If you are interested in good courses on the subject, the National Academy of Police Diving (NAPD), Dive Rescue International, and Lifeguard Systems all offer good courses. I'm not sure if all of them allow non-public safety divers access to the courses, but they are great courses nonetheless. However, these skills must be practiced religiously, or they fade. Also, you will need (at the minimum) 3 divers and a tender that know what they are doing, in order to even begin to do such an op safely.

#4701 - 01/15/03 11:01 AM Re: What are the favorite specialties out there?
BillL Offline
veteran

Even though Public Safety Diving has made it's way into Recreational Diving, it is still best left to professionally employed people that work for Law Enforcement, Fire and Lifeguard Departments. This type of diving is not quite as glamorous as some might think. I do think learning about the equipment and techniques would be interesting.

#4702 - 01/15/03 01:09 PM Re: What are the favorite specialties out there?
DiverD Offline
veteran

Loc: So. Cal.
A course I would like to see is Kayak Diving, I think there is a shop in Ventura (I'm in the so cal area) that offers one. It is a little far for me to go for a class but who knows. I wish I knew of one closer to me. Anyone?

#4703 - 01/16/03 08:55 AM Re: What are the favorite specialties out there?
BillL Offline
veteran

If the Los Angeles or Orange County area is convenient, we have instructors that can conduct a Kayak Diving class here locally.

#4704 - 02/04/03 05:33 AM Re: What are the favorite specialties out there?
DiveVawreks Offline
veteran

Loc: Virginia
It will depend on the type of diving you plan on doing. If you want the pretty little fish on reefs or if you want to dive deep wrecks. AsK your local shop what the best ones they offer for you and the type of diving you want to do. The tech corses are very good but a lot of folks are not ready to spend the thousands it takes to do it corectly. Ask the shop what gear the coarse you are intrested in takes. ANYTHING SAFTY related is a very good idea and practise a LOT.

#4705 - 03/07/03 04:42 PM Re: What are the favorite specialties out there?
excite2scuba Offline
veteran

Loc: Frenchtown NJ
I myself plan on taking the nitrox specialty followed by peak buoyancy, navigation and the wreck specialty. Of course I will take the rescue diver specialty . I firmly believe that I should take this To make me a safer diver and I'll be able to handle an emerency if need be. You can never be over educated when it comes to diving. Keep it wet people.....

#4706 - 03/11/03 10:30 AM Re: What are the favorite specialties out there?
BillL Offline
veteran

The rescue diver courses are a great way to get more comfortable. One of the first things a rescue speciality diver has to do is become totally comfortable with their skills and with the equipment they wear. The last thing you need is problems with your own gear when trying to help or assist someone else.

#4707 - 03/14/03 09:42 AM Re: What are the favorite specialties out there?
Anonymous
Unregistered

The "specialties" I get the most pleasure from are deep, wreck penetration and cave. All of these are actually 'technical', requiring Nitrox, Trimix and many other certifications to attain...but, to me, the effort, cost and time were well worth it. Now I do and see things most people never even dream of.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  BobG, Mel