Please contact our Scuba Diving Instructors by live chat or phone 1-800-34-SCUBA. We are standing by to answer any of your Scuba Diving questions.
Topic Options
#4452 - 08/15/01 05:42 PM afraid and unsure
allie Offline
just got here

Loc: canada
I've always wanted to scuba dive. But I've never had the guts to try it out. I have always dreamed of breathing underwater, but I'm sure I'd have some major panic attack! I need to be assured by an experienced scuba diver. Please contact me!
alliecat57@hotmail.com
Thank you

#4453 - 08/15/01 07:42 PM Re: afraid and unsure
TexasMike Offline
veteran

Scuba is simpler than you think it is. If you are comfortable in the water and enjoy swimming, transitioning to scuba is easy and fun.

I would try the following

1. Get a mask/snorkle set and play with that in the pool. Getting used to "duck diving" in the deep end, it will help you get used to the mask and keeping your face in the water.

2. Many shops offer a discover diving course for very little money (relatively) and will often apply what you pay for this to your course. The discover diving will give you a chance to put on the basic gear and dive in a pool with a qualified instructor. This will give you the chance to try it out before taking the main class.
If you need more information, feel free to e-mail me or join us over at www.ScubaBoard.com .

#4454 - 08/16/01 05:25 AM Re: afraid and unsure
jbd Offline
avid diver

Allie,

I agree with TexasMike. The discover scuba is a one on one situation with an instructor.It is conducted at a very basic level in a pool. I think the price ranges from $15 to $25 in the US.

My daughter was afraid of the water. She did a discover scuba; decided it was "cool" to breathe underwater and will get dive certification on Sept 8th & 9th.

Moderator:  BillL, BobG, Clarke, Mel