Please contact our Scuba Diving Instructors by live chat or phone 1-800-34-SCUBA. We are standing by to answer any of your Scuba Diving questions.
Topic Options
#4431 - 07/30/01 06:31 PM padi and naui certificates
saltscuba Offline
just got here

Loc: austin, tx, USA
which is better a padi or a naui certificate i mean which is more known. i also want to ask if i am an intermediate diver certified by naui and i have a nitrex cert. i was wondering if i am allowed to do cave diving and what is the max limit a scuba diver can go i think it is 120 ft let me know if i am right. thx

#4432 - 08/01/01 01:33 AM Re: padi and naui certificates
jmsdiver Offline
veteran

Loc: USA
NAUI has been around for a very long time; PADI is young in comparison; both are very well known worldwide.

Cave diving: you are only qualified to do that after taking a qualifying Cave Diver Course through a different agency, such as ANDI, TDI, and others. Check out sites on WKPP, DIR, GUE, and others for more information on getting that cert. I implore you NOT to do a cave dive without proper training. Most training agencies that do cave diver training will take you after Open Water Diver courses, under the premise they want to get you before the "bad habits" set in.

120 Feet: well, the recognized recreational limit is 130 feet. However, with proper training and equipment, one can go much deeper on open circuit scuba. You may wish to contact a technically oriented agency to answer the going deeper questions you might have. Or, continue to post here and/or other discussion boards. You are bound to get lots of information that way. Again, check out TDI, ANDI, GUE, WKPP, and others to get a start.

Moderator:  BillL, BobG, Clarke, Mel