Please contact our Scuba Diving Instructors by live chat or phone 1-800-34-SCUBA. We are standing by to answer any of your Scuba Diving questions.
Topic Options
#4291 - 05/24/01 09:05 PM Can I become a professional with asthma?
Anonymous
Unregistered

If I have mild asthma, is it possible for me to become a professional diver?

#4292 - 05/25/01 05:34 AM Re: Can I become a professional with asthma?
nobends Offline
veteran

Loc: NY,NY, USA
Talk to your doctor that treats you for asthma. There are very serious risks associated with diving and asthma, and only your doctor can tell you how your individual condition puts you at risk. Good luck!

#4293 - 05/26/01 03:15 AM Re: Can I become a professional with asthma?
jmsdiver Offline
veteran

Loc: USA
Asthma is a heated debate in the diving medicine arena. Some say don't dive at all, and others say it depends. This depends is based on what triggers a reaction. Some people have an attack with cold, dry air or upon exertion (exercise induced), two elements that can not be escaped in scuba. If you have been diving without complications, then there shouldn't be any reason why you can not become a professional. I am assuming by professional you mean becoming a divemaster/divecon or instructor. I agree with nobends: you really need to discuss the issue with your doctor and call the Divers Alert Network (www.diversalertnetwork.com) and talk to one of their physicians. DAN wrote an article this past year on the very issue of asthma and diving; you maybe able to get a copy of that article from them if you ask (especially if you're a member).

Good luck in attaining your goals.

#4294 - 07/12/01 10:46 AM Re: Can I become a professional with asthma?
Sebastian Offline
avid diver

Loc: Piran, Slovenia
quote:
Originally posted by jsanborn:
If I have mild asthma, is it possible for me to become a professional diver?

I have bronchial astmha. When i was 3 years old I've had my first asthma "attack". But now(15 years old) I'm OK, I have finished PADI Advanced OWD and Padi Enriched Air Diver with no problems. But if you still have "attacks" or you have a little unstable health, consult your doctor.

#4295 - 07/12/01 11:17 AM Re: Can I become a professional with asthma?
rstone Offline
veteran

Loc: Jacksonville, FL USA
You can get some names and numbers of Diving physicians in your area by calling DAN at 1-919-684-2948.

Moderator:  BillL, BobG, Clarke, Mel