Please contact our Scuba Diving Instructors by live chat or phone 1-800-34-SCUBA. We are standing by to answer any of your Scuba Diving questions.
Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#4281 - 01/13/02 09:56 AM Re: WARNING: Choose your instructor carefully!
scuba1066 Offline
veteran

Loc: Oneida, NY
Hi,
I am currently taking my OW course over again, sicne I can't get the referral from the YMCA, so I'll have to repeat the course again, spend another $200 and move on...

Thanks for all the help, everyone!

#4282 - 01/13/02 03:33 PM Re: WARNING: Choose your instructor carefully!
Jordandk Offline
new diver

I JUST GOT MY OPEN WATER CERTIFICATION IN AUGUST I WENT TO ORLANDO DIVE AND SNORKLE TOURS. PERSONALLY THEY DID NOT KNOW HOW TO TEACH DIVING. FOR MY FIRST DIVE AFTER LEARNING IN THE POOL THEY BROUGHT ME TO A PLACE CALLED BLUE SPRINGS. BLUE SPRINGS IS A CAVE THAT HAS A FIVE MILE AN HOUR CURRENT COMING OUT OF IT. THAT WAS STUPID BUT I TOLD THEM THAT MY BC WOULDN T FILL UP AND THEY SAID IT WAS FINE BUT IT WAS BROKEN. THEY ALSO DIDN T MAKE SURE WE KNEW HOW TO WADE IN THE WATER SO SINCE MY BC DIDN T FILL I WAS SINKING. AND I ALSO RUPTURED AN EAR DRUM BECAUSE WAS UNABLE TO EQUALLIZE AGAINST THE CURRENT I WENT TROUGH A TANK OF AIR TRYING TO GET DOWN. AND THEY SAID I HAD TO RE TAKE THE CHECK OUT DIVE THE NEXT DAY AT THE SAME PLACE. I TOLD THEM I COULDN T DO IT TODAY WHAT MAKES YOU THINK I WILL BE ABLE TO DO IT TOMORROW. SO I WENT TO A PLACE CALLED RAINBOW RIVER. THAT WAS THE COOLEST DIVE. BUT I WOULDN T SUGEST GOING TO ORLANDO DIVE AND SNORKLE TOURS. THEY ARE NOT WORTH THE MONEY TIME OR RUPTUING AN EAR DRUM OVER

[ 01-13-2002: Message edited by: Jordandk ]

#4283 - 01/15/02 10:25 AM Re: WARNING: Choose your instructor carefully!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thats terrible - take care of that ear and next time, 'listen' to you gut and don't dive if it 'feel's wrong. Remember, ANY diver ahs the right to 'thumb' (cancel) ANY dive, at ANY time, for ANY reason! Better to walk away and return when conditions are better, you feel better physically or mentaly...remember, this IS supposed to be fun! Better to return another day that get seriously hurt or killed.

#4284 - 03/12/02 06:41 PM Re: WARNING: Choose your instructor carefully!
scuba1066 Offline
veteran

Loc: Oneida, NY
3-12-02 Update...
Outcome: Have to retake the OW 1 course all over again, chose an SSI agency and in 7 wks will be finished and certified.

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  BillL, BobG, Clarke, Mel