Please contact our Scuba Diving Instructors by live chat or phone 1-800-34-SCUBA. We are standing by to answer any of your Scuba Diving questions.
Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#4271 - 07/16/01 08:36 PM Re: WARNING: Choose your instructor carefully!
TexasMike Offline
veteran

4 nights? I was thinking more along doing it in 2 days...day 1 being the quizzes and pool, day 2 being the o/w dives. And most likely this would be just you and the instructor doing all of this, no other students "in the water" with you.

In my opinion, you should be able to do all of the o/w check outs in just 2 dives, depth and air consumption depending.

It might be the case that this be some "private" instruction. Perhaps strike a deal with the dive shop that if they provide you a good price for your situation to accomodate a "faster track" than 4 days, you will return later to buy large amounts of gear.

#4272 - 07/17/01 08:29 AM Re: WARNING: Choose your instructor carefully!
munch_5150 Offline
veteran

Loc: Stamford, CT USA
Mike - do you think you could crank out all of the checkouts in 2 dives? Shouldn't there be 4? I guess the skills aren't that difficult to get into 2 dives. I agree with you though... 4 nights?

#4273 - 07/19/01 04:00 AM Re: WARNING: Choose your instructor carefully!
scuba1066 Offline
veteran

Loc: Oneida, NY
munch_5150,
Well, originally our checkouts were to be over 2 days, 2 dives per day, being:

Dive I: Mask flooding clearing
Reg removal and clearing

Dive 2: Buddy Breathing
Buddy breathing ascent

Dive 3: Compass Navigation

Dive 4: Recreation dive

2 dives per day for 2 days...

#4274 - 07/30/01 04:58 PM Re: WARNING: Choose your instructor carefully!
scuba1066 Offline
veteran

Hi,
Things looking up....found a place in Key Largo that my friend recommended, called 'Its a Dive Key Largo' and they said, come down, in 2 days and $210 you'll be PADI certified. Guess what? I'm planning the trip soon, especially with Southwestern Air's $99 round-trip air fares! Ha! War on YMCA!

and...DIR rules, of course!

#4275 - 09/08/01 05:14 PM Re: WARNING: Choose your instructor carefully!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just finished my O/W cert dives and my wife had problems at first w/ her first decent, because of Claustrophobia (first time she had the wetsuit on) this was also in a quarry w/ limited vis. The instructor was very helpful and surfaced and explained how this was normal and would help to get below water due to the bodys compression and the wetsuit fitting better. She did take his advice and all is well. After that first dive, the second went w/o a hitch. If you instructor is acting as you described (like an a**), I would ditch him in place of a better dive shop. Dont give up clear water diving all togather.......

#4276 - 10/14/01 10:57 AM Re: WARNING: Choose your instructor carefully!
landfish Offline
just got here

Loc: landing nj usa
scuba,i am sorry to hear you had a bad experience.it sounds like you are not to far away from where i live which is nw jersey.may i suggest you dealing with elite divers in rockaway NJ.there are many many good insturctors and dive shops out there i am sure. it is just to bad you are dealing with a bad one at this time.the people at elite would never take anyone into a dangerous situation i am 100% certain of that.we did our ow and 3 of the aow dives class's at dutch springs pa. which i beleive is the premier dive training spot on the east coast.most people you meet in diving are very cool people and will help you in anyway.please don't let one bad experience chase you away!

#4277 - 10/29/01 10:31 PM Re: WARNING: Choose your instructor carefully!
Anonymous
Unregistered

The instructor should have been upfront with you about the conditions, but 5 ft viz is not necessarily unsafe. I routinely bring students into very limited visability, but special care has to be taken and limit it to at best 2 students at a time. If the student is unconfortable, have them try another day when viz may be better. I remember an AOW class that I had to do the deep dives with 1 - 2 feet of viz, I had to complete multiple one on one dives, the students got through it and infact thanked me for the experience, to experience under supervison what can happen on any dive where there are silt conditions with a careless diver near you. A good instructor should plan for the worst and be glad when conditions are better than expected.. I never assume I can get my entire class in the water at once... I carry multiple gas mixes to minimize my nitrogen loading as to not endanger myself.. Training in conditions other than optimal can build confidence and forces the diver to learn skills to a higher degree.. I can't tell you how many warm water divers I see that cant navigate to save their life, they are so use to unlimited viz the never learn the basics.. Where I teach, and dive... Off LI NY if you cant navigate to get back to the anchor line you are endangering yourself. You now have to employ safety skills that are not taught in OW such as shooting a bag to the surface for an ascent line (free ascents are definately a no no). COld water isn't that bad either, the dives can still be enjoyable, off ny even in August below 100 ft its at best low 40s with the proper protection its no big deal. 2 weeks ago I dove in a quarry where the bottom temp was between 36 and 38 and logged several hours underwater, I enjoyed myself and never got cold, proper protection is a must...

#4278 - 01/03/02 06:58 PM Re: WARNING: Choose your instructor carefully!
scuba1066 Offline
veteran

Hi,
As of Fall 2001 YMCA failed to discipline instructor and neither would issue us the Universal Referral card. Instructor did offer me a $200 refund instead of the Universal Referral - which I flatly refused to accept. Attorney General's Office said they could not assist me in that he DID offer me a refund and they couldn't force him to comply. Its now Jan 2002 and my New Years Resolution is to get certified this year - something I have been told will now require me to repeat my entire OW course and another $200. Live and learn, but I'd avoid Aqua Hutt Divers, Scotia, NY if I were you.
-mju

#4279 - 01/04/02 05:53 PM Re: WARNING: Choose your instructor carefully!
TexasMike Offline
veteran

mju---

Once you get your cert, be sure to look me up if you ever make it down to my neck of the woods. I'd enjoy having you as a dive buddy.

--TM

#4280 - 01/05/02 06:52 PM Re: WARNING: Choose your instructor carefully!
Mel Offline
veteran

Loc: Irvine, CA USA
Thank you for the post, Mike. I appreciate it.
Mel

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  BillL, BobG, Clarke, Mel