Please contact our Scuba Diving Instructors by live chat or phone 1-800-34-SCUBA. We are standing by to answer any of your Scuba Diving questions.
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#4261 - 06/27/01 01:33 PM Re: WARNING: Choose your instructor carefully!
scuba1066 Offline
veteran

Loc: Oneida, NY
6/28 Aqua Hutt Divers has blocked all e-mail correspondance from me and is not returning any calls.

They are as follows:

AQUA HUTT DIVERS
SCOTIA, NY

aquahut@aol.com

You be the Judge! You want to do business with a firm like this?

#4262 - 06/27/01 09:21 PM Re: WARNING: Choose your instructor carefully!
TexasMike Offline
veteran

I wouldn't. But here's an idea....

Contact the Better Business Bureau. Once they take your complaint, they contact the business you are calling about and ask for a response and resolution to the problem. If the shop doesn't come through, then they get placed on the BBB's black list.

Also, have you tried going there in person and speaking directly to the owner/head dude?

[This message has been edited by TexasMike (edited 06-27-2001).]

#4263 - 06/28/01 03:18 PM Re: WARNING: Choose your instructor carefully!
scuba1066 Offline
veteran

All,
I received a call from the YMCA and the Instructor today - the YMCA says that they WILL get him to issue the Referral - or he'll face administrative action by them - he called me today and told me to come in tonight as he 'had something for me.' When I got there, he offered me a $200 check and said 'Take it, get the hell out of my shop, and there will be NO referral from me to you."

I said, "I can't do that - I can't be bought...I mastered the course material, made every class, passed the written exam, and I am NOT going to take this $200 in lieu of my Referral slip. He said, "You'll never get it from me."

The saga continues - I have ANOTHER call into the YMCA, and am going to take this individual to Small Claims Court AND file a complaint with the BBB and the NYS Attorney General's Office.

ALL scuba friends - be careful - avoid this shop AQUA HUTT DIVERS in Scotia, NY like the plague......he said that "Your Internet postings are affecting my business!" They ought to!

The POWER of the Internet is a very effective force - and thats why we NEED Mail Order SCUBA shops - they keep local dive shops honest!

In good diving...

#4264 - 06/29/01 09:16 PM Re: WARNING: Choose your instructor carefully!
Anonymous
Unregistered

jmsdiver, that u fin boy?

#4265 - 06/30/01 01:36 PM Re: WARNING: Choose your instructor carefully!
scuba1066 Offline
veteran

Looks like AQUA HUTT DIVEERS of Scotia, NY has closed their doors and is out of business. I continue to speak to YMCA concerning getting my referral.

#4266 - 07/03/01 06:37 PM Re: WARNING: Choose your instructor carefully!
scuba1066 Offline
veteran

7/3 YMCA Director Tek Clark says "There is nothing more they can do - their Instructors are NOT YMCA employees or sub-contracted by the YMCA, and if he will not issue the referral, they can't themselves..so, bottom line is, I'm out $200 and 8 wks of hard work and a 93% score on my final written exam, and will have to take a PADI, NAUI or SSI course all over again. STAY AWAY from YMCA certs and go with a reputable firm! PADI is good!

#4267 - 07/09/01 05:10 PM Re: WARNING: Choose your instructor carefully!
Hal Offline
avid diver

Loc: Rancho Santa Margarita, CA USA
Come to California!!!!!! I'll take you to a place that looks like a lake( easy entry ) and all that....But when you put your face in the water, there is a beautiful kelp forest and fish everywhere...clear water it's about 65 degrees at the surface so if you wanna dive California ....let me know, You could get a refferal for the training you have completed and I'll finish you off out here in California Hal

#4268 - 07/12/01 05:11 PM Re: WARNING: Choose your instructor carefully!
scuba1066 Offline
veteran

Hal,
Thanks - I would - but YMCA has told me that they cannot FORCE the Instructor to give me the referral - so, NO referral and NO refund...now I have to take a 8 wk PADI course ALL over again!

#4269 - 07/12/01 09:47 PM Re: WARNING: Choose your instructor carefully!
TexasMike Offline
veteran

You can't talk to the training director at a more reputable shop and explain your situation? I'm thinking that if allowed, you could probably fast track in just a day or two by just taking the quizzes/exams, an hour or two in the pool demonstrating the confined water skills, and then your o/w dives.

#4270 - 07/16/01 02:46 PM Re: WARNING: Choose your instructor carefully!
scuba1066 Offline
veteran

TexasMike - well, thats what I an trying to do now, so we'll see....an out of town shop offered that option, but that means 4 night of hotel expenses, vacation time off from work and $250 as well....

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  BillL, BobG, Clarke, Mel