Please contact our Scuba Diving Instructors by live chat or phone 1-800-34-SCUBA. We are standing by to answer any of your Scuba Diving questions.
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#4251 - 05/17/01 09:20 PM Re: WARNING: Choose your instructor carefully!
TexasMike Offline
veteran

quote:
Originally posted by jmsdiver:
I don't think that people dismiss scuba in the numbers that have been posted because of their initial in-water experience; most people dismiss scuba because of their experience with the store and instructing staff. Customer service, upbeat personalities, and true concern for others goes a long ways in keeping divers diving.

Well said!!! Bravo!!

This is exactly why I brave almost an hour of horrible Dallas traffic to patronize Sand & Sea Scuba (near LBJ & Greenville Ave.) when there is a dive shop within 10 minutes of my house.

--TexasMike

#4252 - 05/25/01 08:00 AM Re: WARNING: Choose your instructor carefully!
Chris Johnson Offline
new diver

Loc: Jacksonville, FL
My wife had a bad experience with our ow instructor that our dive shop handled to our total satisfaction. The instructor in question didn't seem to want to be patient with my wife. My wife was maybe 15 minutes (that's right, 15 MINUTES) behind the rest of the class in getting comfortable snorkeling. The instructor pulled her aside and asked her if she was sure she wanted to dive. She (the instructor, a female, so no chauvinism issues should have been the cause), then proceeded to tell my wife that many women sit on the boat while the husband dives. The instructor then had my wife sit at the side of the pool while the rest of us worked on skills. I didn't do anything because I thought the instructor was going to work with my wife one on one. Not so! My wife just had to sit there, watching, while the rest of us finished. Then the instructor had to hurry off to go to a football game.

Needless to say, we were furious. We complained to the dive shop and they got another instructor to work with my wife one on one in a private pool. He was great! It took several sessions for my wife to regain her confidence, but he was very patient and helpful. That first lousy instructor almost ruined her diving life before it started. Well, my wife was certified by the good instructor, and now we are going to Little Cayman in August. She has also been Nitrox certified. By the way, I haven't seen the bad instructor since, so I assume they don't use her anymore. The good instructor seems to be in the shop every time we go there, so I think he won preferred status .

#4253 - 06/13/01 03:13 AM Re: WARNING: Choose your instructor carefully!
scuba1066 Offline
veteran

Loc: Oneida, NY
As of this time, the YMCA headquarters in Goergia has failed to supply me with my UNIVERSAL REFERRAL. I was contacted by the instructor - and was told by him that even IF they did give it to me - he would still have the final word on whether I was certified or not, even if doing my Check Outs with another agency. Needless to say, I am very disappointed and disgusted with this agency - I may just go to FLA this Fall, and do a 2-day PADI course there and do my Check Outs while there and be done with this fiasco.

#4254 - 06/13/01 07:53 AM Re: WARNING: Choose your instructor carefully!
NINman Offline
new diver

Sorry to hear about your mis-fortune with Aqua Hutt Divers in Scotia. I live about 25miles north of there. Archie of Stewart & Bergun instructed me and we had our open water check out in the Sacadaga Lake, which isn't the best lake to dive in, just last weekend. We had two groups one had 4 students and 2 assistant instructors and the other group had 3 students and 1 assistant instructor. We dived by a spill way and only went as deep as 25 feet at most. We had a great time. I am right now looking for some gear and I was going to give Aqua Hutt a call to see if they would compate in prices, but now I think I will skip over that dive shop. Once you get certified and if you would like to go diving some time just shoot me an email. Later.

Brad
ninman_ny@yahoo.com

#4255 - 06/14/01 03:54 AM Re: WARNING: Choose your instructor carefully!
jmsdiver Offline
veteran

Loc: USA
That's really bizzare with the YMCA. They sit on the RSTC along with several other organizations to develop industry standards in an effort to keep Big Brother out of the industry. The RSTC decided it would be of great benefit to recognize other agencies referrals because the training standards are the same for the entry level scuba course. Many agencies have subscribed to this philosophy. I think the YMCA chapter you are dealing with is being bullheaded and it's unfortunate that you have to experience this.

I wish the best for you as you enter the underwater realm

#4256 - 06/16/01 02:50 AM Re: WARNING: Choose your instructor carefully!
scuba1066 Offline
veteran

...as of June 16, NO Universal Referral from YMCA yet....more calls into them - again!

#4257 - 06/19/01 02:28 AM Re: WARNING: Choose your instructor carefully!
scuba1066 Offline
veteran

...As of June 18th, Instructor says he has my Referral info to give me next week when filled out - but, my final info from my check out dives from another agency still get forwarded to him, and he will be the final issuing person who approves or declines my certification in the end. Sound right or wrong? Can't say I'm impressed with the way that the YMCA has handled this entire matter.

#4258 - 06/20/01 02:25 AM Re: WARNING: Choose your instructor carefully!
jmsdiver Offline
veteran

Loc: USA
Seems to me that the individual doing the check out dives should be the one saying yeah or neigh, not the guy back in your hometown. So, that doesn't sound right to me. Let us know how it pans out...would like to see another new diver out there...

#4259 - 06/27/01 04:01 AM Re: WARNING: Choose your instructor carefully!
scuba1066 Offline
veteran

Thanks....we'll know the outcome in about 24 hrs!

#4260 - 06/27/01 01:24 PM Re: WARNING: Choose your instructor carefully!
scuba1066 Offline
veteran

As of 6/27 - no return phone calls or e-mails from Aqua Hutt Divers and two calls into the YMCA's headquarters in GA requesting that THEY fax me the Universal Referral slip....

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  BillL, BobG, Clarke, Mel