Please contact our Scuba Diving Instructors by live chat or phone 1-800-34-SCUBA. We are standing by to answer any of your Scuba Diving questions.
Topic Options
#4186 - 04/09/01 06:11 PM PADI/NAUI junior certifications?
Teched Offline
avid diver

Loc: FL
I heard that to dive you had to be 13, im 14, and want to be certified but I cant because you have to be 15. (grrr) so whats the Junior thing like? If anyone has information itd be helpful.

#4187 - 04/09/01 06:34 PM Re: PADI/NAUI junior certifications?
Toothpickman Offline
veteran

I don't know, I got OW certified when I was 14.... that was with NASDS

#4188 - 04/09/01 08:33 PM Re: PADI/NAUI junior certifications?
Teched Offline
avid diver

Loc: FL
Ah, so theres other places I could get certified with other than NAUI or PADI? which ones, and if they have sites thatd be great, and very stupid question, whats OW abbreviated for?

#4189 - 04/10/01 11:06 AM Re: PADI/NAUI junior certifications?
rstone Offline
veteran

Loc: Jacksonville, FL USA
quote:
Originally posted by Teched:
I heard that to dive you had to be 13, im 14, and want to be certified but I cant because you have to be 15. (grrr) so whats the Junior thing like? If anyone has information itd be helpful.

With PADI you have to be 10 to be Junior Open Water Certified, and 15 or older for O/W (open water). The instruction is the same for both (you learn the same skills, use the same books, take the same test, do the same o/w dives), the only real difference is the restrictions who you can dive with. In other word if you and your friend wanted to go diving by yourselfs, its not going to happen. You would need a parent (who is certified) or divemaster or instructor with you. When you turn 15 you can upgrade your card to Open Water Diver with no additional requirements.

#4190 - 05/27/01 01:00 PM Re: PADI/NAUI junior certifications?
divrnr Offline
avid diver

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
My 12yo was certified last year and got his Advanced OW and my 11yo just got his OW cert. My 9yo is a PADI sealteam kid. He can't wait to be 10!!! I wish my dad would've gotten me certified when I was 15. As it is I've only been certified for 17 years...Have FUN,that's what it's all about, Joe.

#4191 - 06/05/01 03:31 AM Re: PADI/NAUI junior certifications?
jmsdiver Offline
veteran

Loc: USA
If you are 14 you can get a junior rating Open Water certification from just about any certification agency....the Recreation Standards Training Council determined that 12 was the minimum age originally and more recently adopted the age of 10, however if you are under 15 you will have restrictions placed upon you as to who you can dive with. The RSTC is made up of several agencies, such as IDEA, NASDS, PADI, PDIC, SSI and YMCA. If you can find someone in your area that teaches for one of these agency, you can get started before 15....or you can wait until you are 15 (not that much longer) and get a full cert.

Hopes this helps

#4192 - 07/14/01 06:37 PM Re: PADI/NAUI junior certifications?
NitroxNut Offline
new diver

Loc: Mtn. Brook, Alabama, USA
quote:

#4193 - 07/14/01 06:38 PM Re: PADI/NAUI junior certifications?
NitroxNut Offline
new diver

Loc: Mtn. Brook, Alabama, USA
The Jr. certificate is basically the full certification class, with the restriction of diving to only 50 ft, and you must dive with your parent or guardian. The training is identical.

quote:

Moderator:  BobG, Mel