Please contact our Scuba Diving Instructors by live chat or phone 1-800-34-SCUBA. We are standing by to answer any of your Scuba Diving questions.
Topic Options
#4158 - 03/28/01 03:50 AM YMCA OW Certification
scuba1066 Offline
veteran

Loc: Oneida, NY
William,
I am in the middle of my OW One certification and am taking it thru the YMCA. I have heard conflicting opinions about the YMCA cert vs. PADI or NAUI. Some say that in some remote island or tropical place's that folks don't know the YMCA cert. Others say that the YMCA is the oldes, most respected organization and the opposit is true. Am I going to have a problem? Plse relpy to my e-mail address of: scuba1066@aol.com

#4159 - 03/28/01 10:01 PM Re: YMCA OW Certification
rstone Offline
veteran

Loc: Jacksonville, FL USA
80% of the Dive Shops in the World are PADI.

#4160 - 04/03/01 07:53 PM Re: YMCA OW Certification
ErieWreckDiver Offline
new diver

Loc: Sheffield Lake, OH
quote:
Originally posted by rstone:
80% of the Dive Shops in the World are PADI.

That doesn't mean that YMCA isn't accepted though. I am YMCA and I have never had a problem anywhere.

#4161 - 04/08/01 03:52 PM Re: YMCA OW Certification
scuba1066 Offline
veteran

Loc: Oneida, NY
Ok,
Thanks!

#4162 - 04/08/01 06:50 PM Re: YMCA OW Certification
Toothpickman Offline
veteran

NAUI is the oldest association, ymca isn't quite at old but is of respectable age. PADI is the widest spread but isn't as well organized (standardized among the instructors) as some of the smaller organizations. I am a member of SSI and I have never had any problems going anywhere so I wouldn't worry about it.

#4163 - 04/09/01 11:22 AM Re: YMCA OW Certification
rstone Offline
veteran

Loc: Jacksonville, FL USA
actually you have that backwards.. PADI is very standardized (we all use the same manual, same presentations, same lesson plans, all designed by PADI) which means instructors have very little leeway on instructional planning (which is just a liability issue) and giving us very little academic freedom. Where as NAUI allows instructors alot more leeway in designing their instructional lesson plans and how they wish to present there material.

#4164 - 04/09/01 03:09 PM Re: YMCA OW Certification
Rebecca Offline
veteran

I believe the question was whether or not YMCA would be recognized, not if PADI or NAUI were better.
You should not have a problem with a YMCA certification. Yes, padi and NAUI are more recognized but that doesn’t mean YMCA is not. Chances are if you are at a dive resort they will know of YMCA. You may want to keep your log book with you when you go to show them proof of your diving experience as well.

#4165 - 06/06/01 02:18 AM Re: YMCA OW Certification
jmsdiver Offline
veteran

Loc: USA
Some of my family are YMCA Certified, while myself am PADI. We have been to different places in the world and have had absolutely no problem in getting them in the water. Don't worry about the Cert Card or organization. Just get through the program, then take your cert card and log book with you on your trip. Every commercially marketed program out there is recognized and is respected in some fashion or another. Many have organized and sit on the Recreational Training Standards Council, a division of ANSI, including YMCA, PADI, SSI, and so forth.

Just have fun and enjoy the training process. Get pumped about your upcoming trip and future diving "career." The main thing is to have a good time.

Happy Diving and Welcome to the Underwater World

Moderator:  BillL, BobG, Clarke, Mel