Please contact our Scuba Diving Instructors by live chat or phone 1-800-34-SCUBA. We are standing by to answer any of your Scuba Diving questions.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#4072 - 12/28/00 02:01 PM SSI vs PADI
scrappy Offline
veteran

Loc: Charlotte NC USA
I was wondering if there was a difference between SSI and PADI. If so what is the difference. Can anyone help me out with this.

#4073 - 01/20/01 01:10 PM Re: SSI vs PADI
Rebecca Offline
veteran

Both are certification agencies. As far as your basic certification, you will find more of a difference in the individual instructor than in the different agencies. Where you will see a big difference will be in the leadership level like instructor.
quote:
Originally posted by scrappy:
I was wondering if there was a difference between SSI and PADI. If so what is the difference. Can anyone help me out with this.

#4074 - 03/21/01 09:05 PM Re: SSI vs PADI
trey Offline
avid diver

Loc: austin , texas us
I have to agree with Rebecca , find a good instructor . I started with SSI and then promptly changed to PDIC for my advanced and nitrox . I felt that SSI was too comercial and rushed our training . My instuctor takes his time and leads more dives than are needed for certification just so his students are well prepared for open water unsupervised .Training and continued education is the key to safe diving and a good instructor makes all the difference .
safe diving
trey
texas diver

quote:
Originally posted by scrappy:

#4075 - 03/31/01 02:46 PM Re: SSI vs PADI
Toothpickman Offline
veteran

The main thing I have found that is different is that SSI is more centrally organized, by that I mean if you learn at one store you can easily move your information to another(standardized training). PADI is places more control on the individual instructor. SSI also is much more product oriented though if you find a good instructor any organization can be good.

#4076 - 04/29/01 12:15 AM Re: SSI vs PADI
SHARK444 Offline
avid diver

Loc: Mason City IA 50401
I've trained through both agencies with the same instructor. I decided to stay loyal to the instructor instead of the agency. PADI seems to be more interesting. The students seem to be performing skills that I never did when "we" were affiliated with SSI. Only my owd was done through SSI all other certs. are PADI. Even my divemaster cert that I will be getting this fall.

SHARK444

#4077 - 05/03/01 06:08 PM Re: SSI vs PADI
scuba1066 Offline
veteran

Loc: Oneida, NY
I agree with above, all the agencies are good and have the same agenda to teach - most important is a patient, understanding and fun teacher! Find one who you are comfortable with and communicates well. That makes ALL the differance in the world! Good luck!

#4078 - 05/09/01 10:53 AM Re: SSI vs PADI
Anonymous
Unregistered

There is one item that many people forget when they are comparing agencies: the quality of the training materials. Due to their length of service and the fact they certify the majority of the divers in the world, PADI has had the most money to spend on materials and their materials show it. And if you take a look at the modern courses, the materials are performing a larger amount of the education, and the instructor less, so quality materials count.

#4079 - 05/09/01 05:59 PM Re: SSI vs PADI
Toothpickman Offline
veteran

quote:
Originally posted by Marvintpa:
There is one item that many people forget when they are comparing agencies: the quality of the training materials. Due to their length of service and the fact they certify the majority of the divers in the world, PADI has had the most money to spend on materials and their materials show it. And if you take a look at the modern courses, the materials are performing a larger amount of the education, and the instructor less, so quality materials count.

I disagree with the statement that PADI's materials are much different from the other agencies. On the Openwater course all agencies use basically the same materials and cover the same information. In my experiences with padi the major differences in training are the variances in the instructors. A large amount of scuba research and information is done seperate from the sport diving agencies as well.

#4080 - 05/10/01 07:41 AM Re: SSI vs PADI
Anonymous
Unregistered

Please re-read the above post; I did not state that "PADI's materials are much different from the other agencies."
However, when comparing PADI to SSI (which this thread attempts to do), SSI has not been around nearly as long, and does not have the financial resources that PADI does to comit to materials. Compared to SSI, yes, PADI materials are superior.

#4081 - 05/10/01 11:19 AM Re: SSI vs PADI
Toothpickman Offline
veteran

quote:
Originally posted by Marvintpa:
Please re-read the above post; I did not state that "PADI's materials are much different from the other agencies."
However, when comparing PADI to SSI (which this thread attempts to do), SSI has not been around nearly as long, and does not have the financial resources that PADI does to comit to materials. Compared to SSI, yes, PADI materials are superior.

Please re-read my post.
Actually SSI in the form of NASDS or SSI, has been around maybe 3 years less than PADI at most. NAUI is the oldest so don't talk age. Good resources are not really affiliated with any sport organization. They are affiliated with commercial diving and universities. If you want good materials you need to research. As far as resources Padi does not have stanardized materials. In the many Padi schools/stores I have been to the teaching style and materials were all different. The organization may have more monitary resources but that does not show up in the schooling of the student, which is the relivent point.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  BillL, BobG, Clarke, Mel