Please contact our Scuba Diving Instructors by live chat or phone 1-800-34-SCUBA. We are standing by to answer any of your Scuba Diving questions.
Topic Options
#4028 - 07/24/00 05:03 PM REGULATOR BREATHING ONLY
gflash Offline
just got here

Loc: Waycross,ga,USA
I HAVE JUST BEEN INTRODUCED TO MY FIRST POOL SESSION AND I AM HAVING PROBLEMS WHEN I HAVE TO TAKE MY MASK OFF UNDER WATER AND ONLY BREATH WITH THE REGULATOR. I KEEP INHALING WATER THROUGH MY NOSE AND DON'T HAVE ANY IDEA OF HOW TO CONTROL MY BREATHING THROUGH MY NOSE. I NEED TO KNOW IF ANY ONE HAS ANY IDEAS OF HOW TO PREVENT WATER FROM ENTERING OR AN EXERCISE THAT COULD BE DONE TO HELP ELIMINATE MY PROBLEM OTHER THAN HOLDING MY NOSE SHUT WITH A NOSE CLIP. ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE HELPFUL. THANKS..

#4029 - 07/25/00 09:32 AM Re: REGULATOR BREATHING ONLY
Bob Offline
just got here

Loc: Sydney
What I have found to be the most useful for my students with this trouble has been for them to inhale through the reg (obviously *S*) and then exhale out your nose. This is not the correct way to do the skill, but it will give you a chance to get comfortable breathing without your mask on underwater. After a few minutes of this, and being comfortable with it, you should be able to relax and begin to exhale out your reg without inhaling again through your nose.

#4030 - 10/19/00 02:10 PM Re: REGULATOR BREATHING ONLY
dacordiver87 Offline
new diver

when i got certified the best way was to inhale through your reg then exhale through your nose all the time.

Moderator:  BobG, Mel