Please contact our Scuba Diving Instructors by live chat or phone 1-800-34-SCUBA. We are standing by to answer any of your Scuba Diving questions.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#3904 - 02/19/04 10:46 AM Shore Diving/Snorkeling in Florida
swingster05 Offline
avid diver

Loc: New York
I'm traveling to Florida for spring break with some friends who dont dive. We're looking to find a location where we can snorkel from the shore to save money (by not paying a company to boat us out to a reef). Transportation is not an issue, since we'll have cars, so we can get just about anywhere in Florida.

Crystal River was recommended to me by my dive master in New York. Would we be more comfortable renting wetsuits? Think we would have more fun in the ocean instead of springs (which are just 72 degrees)? Are there locations in the Keys where we could snorkel from the shore?

Thanks a lot!

Ed

#3905 - 02/19/04 11:05 AM Re: Shore Diving/Snorkeling in Florida
swingster05 Offline
avid diver

Is there shore diving from any of the state parks (e.g. John Pennekamp)?

#3906 - 02/19/04 05:56 PM Re: Shore Diving/Snorkeling in Florida
BillL Offline
veteran

Loc: So. California, USA
Key Largo is very nice. You can drive fairly easy from the Miami area. Plenty of dive facilities for diving along the way.

#3907 - 02/20/04 11:12 AM Re: Shore Diving/Snorkeling in Florida
swingster05 Offline
avid diver

Dear Bill,

Thanks for the quick reply.

To clarify - you'd recommend we hit miami, then travel south along the keys until we find a good spot? We'll probably only spend one day on this, and it will be shore snorkeling for the majority of the group. Can you recommend a particular site (like one of the state parks)?

#3908 - 02/23/04 08:31 AM Re: Shore Diving/Snorkeling in Florida
BillL Offline
veteran

John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park would be a good choice. You can work through any one of facility in the area or directly through the Park. An internet search should give you contact information. I would contact them to make the tours are operating on the days you will be in the area.

#3909 - 02/23/04 09:47 AM Re: Shore Diving/Snorkeling in Florida
xnight Offline
avid diver

Loc: NYC
FT LAUDERDALE!!!!!! I snorkeled there and thats what made me get certified when i came back home, i cant wait to go back, vis is good, not like caribean but the marine life is AMAZING!!!! nurse sharks, turtles, big barracuda, to be exact its Lauderdale by the sea, i stayed at the Piere Point resort there, public beach, no fees, and 3 paralel reefs, try it out.

[ 02-23-2004, 09:49 AM: Message edited by: xnight ]

#3910 - 02/24/04 11:25 AM Re: Shore Diving/Snorkeling in Florida
swingster05 Offline
avid diver

xnight,

I did a little searching, and I think I found the hotel you mentioned:
http://www.fortlauderdalehotels.com/pier-point-ocean-resort/pier-point-resort.htm

I just wanted to verify - the reefs are close enough to the shore that you dont have to hire a dive boat and shallow enough that it's interested with just a mask/snorkel and find? The hotels give a brief description, but it sounds like you know first hand (and enjoyed yourself in the process!).

As I wrote before, we were thinking about doing crystal river to try to see the manatees, but it looks like we might not see them, the water will be a little cold (72), and the rest of the animal life in Ft. Lauderdale is better.

#3911 - 02/29/04 07:47 PM Re: Shore Diving/Snorkeling in Florida
xnight Offline
avid diver

Just a little update on the resort, i called up to make reservations for august, i planned on staying for 12 days with the family and friends and dive my ass off, but the girl who took my reservation told me that for years now they have been trying to buy the resort and the deal never went thru.....so this time she told me she couldnt take reservations after august 1st, which totally sucks, but she did tell me that if the deal doesnt go thru by the end of march i was good to go for reservations after aug 1st, in any case there are tons of resorts on the beach in that area. One thing is for sure, i am gonna be spending at least 12 days there, if not the Pier pointe it will be some other resort.....that area is great if you dont want to get involved with dive boats.
Oh well, have fun wherever you go!!!

#3912 - 02/29/04 08:26 PM Re: Shore Diving/Snorkeling in Florida
swingster05 Offline
avid diver

Thanks a lot! I'm planning spring break there with some of my friends, so I'll be sure to let you know how it works out.

Best wishes,

Ed

#3913 - 03/07/04 08:12 AM Re: Shore Diving/Snorkeling in Florida
BillL Offline
veteran

Be sure to let us know how the diving was on your trip.

#3914 - 03/09/04 07:54 PM Re: Shore Diving/Snorkeling in Florida
swingster05 Offline
avid diver

We're going to head down next week, so I'll be sure to keep everyone posted!

#3915 - 03/24/04 08:47 AM Re: Shore Diving/Snorkeling in Florida
swingster05 Offline
avid diver

So the snorkeling didnt work out too well. The conditions in Ft. Lauderdale werent favorable for getting in the water, so we opted to hit the keys instead. The conditions werent good there either, but Cpt. Slate decided to take us out anyway. Two thirds of the boat vomitted, including 4 out of 7 of my group. Better luck next time, I guess.

#3916 - 03/27/04 10:33 AM Re: Shore Diving/Snorkeling in Florida
xnight Offline
avid diver

Bummer [Frown]

#3917 - 03/28/04 06:44 PM Re: Shore Diving/Snorkeling in Florida
Greg_dup1 Offline
veteran

Loc: Rancho Santa Margarita
Ouch!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  BobG, Mel, Reggie