Please contact our Scuba Diving Instructors by live chat or phone 1-800-34-SCUBA. We are standing by to answer any of your Scuba Diving questions.
Topic Options
#3787 - 02/23/03 10:28 PM Best Florida Sites
drsmartman Offline
just got here

Hello all,

Just joined up today and look forward to gaining more knowledge about diving and hearing about everybody's adventures. I am a bit spoiled, learning to dive on The Great Barrier Reef and diving the Poor Knight Islands. Anyway, I'm hooked. My question is where are the best dive sites in Florida in your (readers) opinion? Is there a general area (ie Panama City, Fort Lauderdale, Clearwater) of the state that is better than the rest? I can read all I want, but I'd like to hear your experiences if you've ever been.

I live in New York and isn't exaclty a diving hotbed especially in the midst of winter.

Thanks a lot! I look forward to hearing from you all!

#3788 - 03/05/03 10:25 PM Re: Best Florida Sites
excite2scuba Offline
veteran

Loc: Frenchtown NJ
Hello, I'm in NJ. I just got back from florida diving. It was the best diving by far. I was in west palm beach and went on a dive boat out of riviera beach [the rampage]. We did a wreck dive and a reef dive which was incrediable.There is many dive shops in the west palm area that will hook you up with a good dive boat. The vis. is excellent, seen numerous colorful fish, barracuda, shark, eels ect. The water was warm 70 at surface 63 at 95. I wear a 7 mil semi-dry and I was very comfortable. I highly recommend diving florida. The west palm area has awesome diving.

#3789 - 03/06/03 05:38 PM Re: Best Florida Sites
fldiver Offline
new diver

west palm beach is great...pompano beach is really nice as well. anything north of there it deteriorates. further south..the keys are AWESOME:)

#3790 - 03/07/03 04:22 PM Re: Best Florida Sites
excite2scuba Offline
veteran

Loc: Frenchtown NJ
I'm told the keys have some of the best wreck diving.I never made it that far south yet. I try to dive the west palm beach area. From what I can tell they have excellent wreck diving and the drift diving is awesome. I did do a reef dive which was pretty good but nothing beat the wreck.

#3791 - 03/10/03 05:07 PM Re: Best Florida Sites
ScubaGirl101 Offline
new diver

Loc: Chattaroy, WA
quote:
Originally posted by excite2scuba:
Hello, I'm in NJ. I just got back from florida diving. It was the best diving by far. I was in west palm beach and went on a dive boat out of riviera beach [the rampage]. We did a wreck dive and a reef dive which was incrediable.There is many dive shops in the west palm area that will hook you up with a good dive boat. The vis. is excellent, seen numerous colorful fish, barracuda, shark, eels ect. The water was warm 70 at surface 63 at 95. I wear a 7 mil semi-dry and I was very comfortable. I highly recommend diving florida. The west palm area has awesome diving.

hey, I'm ScubaGirl01, and I took a trip down to Key West, FL last year, snorkled, and my bro scuba dived. It was REALLY fun, so my Dad signed me and my brother up for lessons (scuba). Let me break it all out to ya: IF YOU WANT THE BEST DIVE SITE IN FLORIDA, GO TO KEY WEST, KEY LARGO, OR LAUDERDALE BY THE SEA!! They are the BEST! Now, hey, I'm only 12, but I know what is good and whats not! Go down and have fun, excite2scuba! Catch ya la'der in Lauderdale! -ScubaGirl101. Oh yeah, you think 70 degrees is hot for water, try 87 down in the Keys!!!!!!!!!

#3792 - 03/10/03 05:08 PM Re: Best Florida Sites
ScubaGirl101 Offline
new diver

quote:
Originally posted by drsmartman:
Hello all,

Just joined up today and look forward to gaining more knowledge about diving and hearing about everybody's adventures. I am a bit spoiled, learning to dive on The Great Barrier Reef and diving the Poor Knight Islands. Anyway, I'm hooked. My question is where are the best dive sites in Florida in your (readers) opinion? Is there a general area (ie Panama City, Fort Lauderdale, Clearwater) of the state that is better than the rest? I can read all I want, but I'd like to hear your experiences if you've ever been.

I live in New York and isn't exaclty a diving hotbed especially in the midst of winter.

No, Vancoover B.C in Cnanda has the best wreck diving in the world.

#3793 - 03/10/03 05:10 PM Re: Best Florida Sites
ScubaGirl101 Offline
new diver

quote:
Originally posted by drsmartman:
Hello all,

No, Vancoover B.C in Cnanda has the best wreck diving in the world. -ScubaGirl101

#3794 - 03/11/03 10:33 AM Re: Best Florida Sites
BillL Offline
veteran

Loc: So. California, USA
Check out eScuba.com for travel, resort and dive boat information around the world.

#3795 - 04/05/03 08:34 AM Re: Best Florida Sites
perryberry Offline
avid diver

Loc: MA
I would suggest that you try diving the Tenneco Oil Rigs just off the coast in North Miami Beach. We dove with H20 Scuba: www.h2oscuba.com. They were absolutely terrific dives and I would use H20 Scuba again. The rigs have great corals on them and a good size school of barracuda like to hang in near or around the rigs. There's also a dive that includes a couple of wrecks, none as deep as the rigs, but it's a fun dive. We stayed in South Beach and it was an easy 20-30 minute drive up the coast to the dive shop.

If you go south to the Keys, near Key Largo, the Duane is a great wreck dive and the Spiegel Grove looks like it's a fantastic wreck dive. (I hope to go soon). We used Aquanuts when we dove the Duane. It was about 6 years ago, but they were great. www.kellysonthebay.com.

Moderator:  BillL, BobG, Clarke, Mel, Reggie