Please contact our Scuba Diving Instructors by live chat or phone 1-800-34-SCUBA. We are standing by to answer any of your Scuba Diving questions.
Topic Options
#37400 - 05/30/12 12:42 AM Combo of Surf and Turf
girlonavespa Offline
just got here

Hi all,

I'm returning to diving after literally years of being away. I've dived in only a few places but two of them were Belize and Cozumel. Not bad, right?

My husband is about to be certified and we're looking for a little getaway. We're thinking a Caribbean island, and would like some decent diving, but definitely want a great topside vacation too--he wants nice beaches, I just want nice.

I would like his first diving experience to be a good one. He lived in Hawaii for awhile and has done a lot of snorkeling so he's not entirely new to seeing great underwater eye candy. But enjoying our time topside is a priority so Bonaire, for example, is out.

We were thinking of St. Lucia or St. Bart's. I know the diving is not first class, but would it still be enjoyable for us, as amateurish as we are?

#37404 - 06/08/12 11:01 AM Re: Combo of Surf and Turf [Re: girlonavespa]
BobG Offline
veteran

Loc: Irvine, CA
Having never been to either, I can't really give an opinion on what I'd think. But, having been a visitor to a good variety of places in the Caribbean, I have discovered that "topside" entertainment is what you make of it. I've found myself having wonderful times in places not known for their entertainment value outside of diving and often found myself disappointed in locations where the other than diving acativities are well documented. I frequently find those places set up to take your tourist dollars more than to ensure yuo have a memorable experience.

#37408 - 06/13/12 12:51 PM Re: Combo of Surf and Turf [Re: BobG]
BryanCunningham Offline
new diver

St Lucia is a beautiful island with okay diving. But where you choose in the Caribbean depends A LOT on when you are planning to go. Also you need to consider where on the island you choose your hotel. I have just moved to Toronto after 12 years in the Caribbean and now give advice to a local travel agent, steering their diving customers to the best resorts to match their diving needs. If you let me know WHEN you plan on going, I can narrow down your best options for you.
Cheers
Bryan

Moderator:  BillL, BobG, Clarke, Mel, Reggie