Please contact our Scuba Diving Instructors by live chat or phone 1-800-34-SCUBA. We are standing by to answer any of your Scuba Diving questions.
Topic Options
#3709 - 10/19/02 07:38 PM Flying regulations
Anthony Offline
new diver

Loc: Manalapan NJ
Hello I was just wondering what were the regulations were when you were flying with dive gear. Ex tanks knives and any other eqipment that might be "dangerous"

Thanks for any help
Anthony

#3710 - 10/19/02 07:51 PM Re: Flying regulations
Mako Offline
veteran

Loc: Honolulu
Aloha,
In general, tanks need to be empty sometimes with the valve removed, ( tho I wouldn't remove it unless asked) Knives should not be taken in carry-on or your asking for trouble, with baggage shouldn't be a problem. Hope this helps
Aloha
Mako

ps you may need to get a new visual inspection on the tank upon arrival as most dive shops policy is not to fill a drained tank without looking inside for their safety 8)

#3711 - 10/21/02 08:21 AM Re: Flying regulations
BillL Offline
veteran

Loc: So. California, USA
In most cases the resort or destinations have tanks and weights either supplied or for rental. Taking tanks on the plane can be a real pain, just the added weight is enough to consider renting if possible.

#3712 - 10/22/02 08:37 AM Re: Flying regulations
reefmonkey Offline
veteran

Loc: Houston, TX
All diving gear but cylinders presents no problems when flying as long as it is in checked luggage, even knives. Cylinders have to be emptied and their valves removed. It's really not worth the effort, since you'll have to take them somewhere, get them inspected, and filled anyway, and you could just rent some full cylinders from the shop pretty easily. Also, you will probably have to pay for going over the weight limit on checked baggage, which will definitely cost more than any savings you might get from having your own cylinders.

Another thing to think of, depending on where you are going and whether your trip is dedicated to diving or not, is "Do I need to bring any of my own gear?" On dedicated dive trips I do bring everything, but I have changed my mind on trips where I will do a little diving. In 2001 I took a 2-week trip to Africa, mostly doing the Safari thing, but I was also going to Zanzibar, and wanted to try Indian Ocean diving. I lugged all my gear to Africa, thinking "Hey, it's Africa, what kind of facilities will they have?" I left my gear at a hotel in Arusha while I was on Safari, picked it up on my way to Zanzibar. When I got to One Ocean Diving Centre in Stone Town, I was amazed at what a good operation they had, and all equipment, including masks, was included in the incredibly cheap cost of diving. The next time I go on a trip like that, all I will bring is what is necessary for sanitation - my own mask and snorkel, a mouthpiece cover for the regulator, and a skin to wear under the rented wetsuit. Still, when I finally make it to Palau, I'll bring my whole rig.

I always have a tough time understanding why people buy their own cylinders, unless they have access to their own compressor and either their own boat or great shorediving. It seems like the pain of lugging them around and cost of getting them inspected and tested annually would far far outweigh the benefit of owning them.

#3713 - 10/22/02 05:02 PM Re: Flying regulations
Anthony Offline
new diver

Loc: Manalapan NJ
Thank you for all of your help. This will realy aid me when i go on my trip next month. Once again Thanks alot.

Moderator:  BillL, BobG, Clarke, Mel, Reggie