Please contact our Scuba Diving Instructors by live chat or phone 1-800-34-SCUBA. We are standing by to answer any of your Scuba Diving questions.
Topic Options
#3310 - 05/03/01 02:18 PM Dependable Thai courses
Agking Offline
just got here

Loc: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Am traveling to thailand soon and would like to get my diving registration there. ANyone know of a reputable dive operator/course? I'm open to either the Andaman or Gulf.

#3311 - 05/03/01 06:11 PM Re: Dependable Thai courses
EricF Offline
veteran

Loc: CA
I have never been there, but check out this website, it has someuseful information. I was going to go to Thailand last year but passed for Fiji. Logon to Divethailand.net.

[This message has been edited by EricF (edited 05-03-2001).]

#3312 - 05/22/01 04:23 PM Re: Dependable Thai courses
Hollywoodivers.com Offline
avid diver

Loc: LA ca usa
quote:
Originally posted by Agking:
Am traveling to thailand soon and would like to get my diving registration there. ANyone know of a reputable dive operator/course? I'm open to either the Andaman or Gulf.

My close friend Sonny Tharachai lives in Thailand speaks english and thai and grew up in Thailand. He teaches diving and is there now. E mail him at divingmad@hotmail.com tell him Hal sent ya. He can take care of you and if he can't will be a reliable source of info as to who can Hal

#3313 - 06/27/01 07:20 AM Re: Dependable Thai courses
mattb Offline
avid diver

Loc: Jersey City NJ
Depends where you are. On Phi Phi Island, the most reputable operations are considered Mosquito and White and Blue. We did our cert dives with Phi Phi Island village (a slice of heaven, check out www.travelforum.org/thailand), where the instructors were as on the ball as any I have seen. PPIV is a resort away from the main town/crowds in Phi Phi (and the diving is a little more expensive)... but, it is a secluded gorgeous place with a gold palm PADI dive operation.

If you go to Phuket/Phi Phi, I would recommend Phi Phi over Phuket. If you stay in Phi Phi or Phuket, try to get a dive to Hing Maunge/Hin Daeng, one of the best dive sites in Thai waters. Trips leave sporadically as it requires a 4 people and a speed boat. Mosquito was going almost every day.

Both Mosquito and White and Blue have liveaboards that go to the Similan/Surins (worth the trip, but Richeleau is nice, but always 4 boats there, dive early morning).

Check out 'Dive Sites of Thailand' by Paul Lee. A great book available all over Thailand, I bought mine off Amazon.com

As for the Gulf, I haven't been there but the diving in the Andeman is considered to be substantially better. It depends on the time of the year as the Gulf and the Andeman have opposing monsoon season when diving halts.

Oooh, if you go to Phuket, also try and do some dives around Coral Island (or stay there a couple of nights, it is a private island and supposed to be very nice).

Have fun, great country.

Moderator:  BobG, Mel, Reggie