Please contact our Scuba Diving Instructors by live chat or phone 1-800-34-SCUBA. We are standing by to answer any of your Scuba Diving questions.
Topic Options
#3251 - 04/06/01 04:26 PM New England Diving
Will Offline
just got here

Loc: Burlington, MA USA
Someone should be talking about some of the best diving in the country. Lets keep that a little, secrete. However, it would be cool to share stories about good dive sites etc?

#3252 - 04/11/01 12:06 AM Re: New England Diving
Navydiver782 Offline
just got here

Loc: Annapolis,MD
Sure, I would love to here about some diving in the New England area...I am going to be certified in about a month and want to know of some places that I can dive locally...I have heard about the quarry in VT, but other then that, I am no good...help us out y'all!

#3253 - 04/27/01 06:02 PM Re: New England Diving
scuba1066 Offline
veteran

Loc: Oneida, NY
Hi,
I am from Albany, NY area....you can e-mail me for more info on New England diving.....NY has many good places....Lake Ontario, Lake George, Sacandaga Lake, St. Lawrence River, and True Blue quarry in VT. E-mail me for more info - I can always put you in touch with people who know more than I....

#3254 - 07/17/01 06:44 PM Re: New England Diving
david@norwayhill.com Offline
avid diver

Loc: hancock, NH, usa
Fort Foster in Kittery, Maine has a neat area to dive and explore. been there twice this season.

#3255 - 07/18/01 07:35 AM Re: New England Diving
munch_5150 Offline
veteran

Loc: Stamford, CT USA
I'm from Stamford, CT (about 45 minutes north of NYC) and dive Dutch Springs in PA. It's a fresh water quarry that's good for beginners. I've heard of a shark dive off of Rhode Island through Snappa Charters. Kind of expensive to charter the boat (for 7 divers, it'd probably run $150 for 2, 1/2 hour dives). What they do is chum the water and drop a cage in, so you basically sit in a cage and watch. I don't know how I feel sitting in chum, kinda gross, but the sharks would be awesome. They attract blues and said they seen makos and even a great white. SWEET!
If you guys are interested, I could look into and try and set it up.
-Paula

#3256 - 08/28/01 11:17 PM Re: New England Diving
JudyM Offline
new diver

Hi! It has taken me a bit of time to get here, but here goes. In response to the question about diving in New England-- there are lots of places to go as long as you have a 7mm suit or dive dry. Lake George is amazingly clear(and it is near New England) and it is historically significant, as well as Lake Champlain. I have had the opporunity to dive in the True Blue quarry in Vt. though I have to say it is not my favorite as I like to have at least 5 ft. of vis. while I am going down. Maybe I am just a little hesitant as I am a relatively new diver. But either way, get in touch with me and I am sure that I can find someone who can lead you in the right direction to dive where you would like to go. Stay safe.....

#3257 - 08/30/01 08:22 AM Re: New England Diving
markleahy Offline
new diver

Get in touch with the Vermont Underwater Historical Society. There are amazing shipwrecks in lake Champlain. They recently found Benedict Arnolds flag ship! Many are marked, and you can tie off on a bouy. Some are even beach dive accessible. Visibility is limited, but can reach 20 whole feet!
Be prepared for some chilly water.

Moderator:  BillL, BobG, Clarke, Mel, Reggie