Please contact our Scuba Diving Instructors by live chat or phone 1-800-34-SCUBA. We are standing by to answer any of your Scuba Diving questions.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2945 - 10/22/05 02:35 PM Re: Support your local Dive Shop?
splash Offline
veteran

Like a said your a smuck who collects a pay check with no clue of what it's like to run a business.
This is like discussing physics witha 2 year old.

#2946 - 10/22/05 03:27 PM Re: Support your local Dive Shop?
elec Offline
veteran

every frikkin time someone mentiuons buying gear either online or at another shop cheaper who get on your soapbox and ya know what its pathetic. get it through your thick skull people aren't only gonna take your word for it anymore it's a new age , so either keep up with the age or shut up about other options ppl go to purchase equip. so you want ppl to pay double than what they need too and if a person cant afford that screw em? is that what you are saying? sure sounds it to me and you never answered what are ya a part time weekend fly by night shop that needs to increase price cause your only opened 14 hours a week? hey I bought my life saving gear from a shop just that the shop was only 40 bux more compared to leisure pro cant help it if you dont want ot have COMPETETIVE prices. so all of a sudden your no longer a monoply in your area get used to it its only getting better for the average consumer

#2947 - 10/24/05 08:34 AM Re: Support your local Dive Shop?
splash Offline
veteran

First we are a PADI 5 star and one of the biggest in PA. If you don't get the fact that a thriving dive shop is the heart and soul of this sport you are not paying attention. Without the local shop which continously brings in new divers, promotes local diving, provides air, service, runs local fund raisers and cleanups all with very little profit unless they sell gear and no one I know who owns a shop is wealthy by any stretch. Online companies bring no new divers plus do none of the above. They simply thrive off the hard work of dive shops without all the other expense. Without new divers resorts go away ( see what happen after 9-11) vendors quit investing in new technology and opportunities to dive locally or afar drop dramatically. Nobody is asking you to pay double just don't use your walmart mentality in this busines because it will ruin the sport. Just a piece of advice, take some classes on running a small busines before you shoot your mouth off and make so many wrong conclusions.

#2948 - 10/24/05 10:45 AM Re: Support your local Dive Shop?
BrianO Offline
veteran

Loc: Irvine
There are many different types of dive shops all over the world. Some specialize in training, some in travel, some in equipment sales and some in resort diving. Hats off to those who do it all. For the most part, niche markets are throughout the the consumer world, no matter what the product or service. The perception of value for the dollar is in the eye of the individual. More competitive pricing generally means more customers, more activities, more classes, and more new interest in the sport and It's associated activities. Most shop owners do what they do for the love of the sport and the desire to keep it alive, not the money. This is not the case in all instances. Unauthorized dealers pull the value out of the market place and consumers do not get the product as it was intended by the manufacturer. Unauthorized dealers usually do not have any professional level divers on staff for advice or suggestions. They usually do not teach classes, run trips, sponsor activities or even go diving. Warranties are not valid when an item is purchased from an unauthorized dealer. This means that, if there is an issue with the equipment, it must be returned ONLY to unauthorized dealer it was purchased from.

[ 10-24-2005, 11:33 AM: Message edited by: BrianO ]

#2949 - 11/10/05 11:41 AM Re: Support your local Dive Shop?
elec Offline
veteran

If you don't get the fact that a thriving dive shop is the heart and soul of this sport you are not paying attention. Without the local shop which continously brings in new divers, promotes local diving, provides air, service, runs local fund raisers and cleanups , SO because of all this you want us to pay double or more for the gear ya know what your full of it People there will always be the dive shop that take scare of you as I stated before I bought gear from repyable dive shops for the same or close price of leisure pro. so before you settle on buyiong gear for doublke the price even if you gotta drive a hour out of your way DO IT cause not all shops are like splash and they wont take advantage of increasing the prices that much if you have to increase that much you either arent open that often(part time shop) or you have very very little buisness all the shops that are thriving have very good prices and deals

#2950 - 11/19/05 09:16 PM Re: Support your local Dive Shop?
radarlove100 Offline
avid diver

Loc: reseda,ca.
my piddlin 2 cents.I bought a reg. oceanic air xs2,and a veo180nx.Scuba.com matched leisurepros price,gave warrantys and great advice on installation.very happy with service.decided to buy a dive light at a local dive shop.A U.K D-4,69.95 plus tax.Online at scuba.com 41.95 plus tax and shipping.pretty close to even and now I know a dive shop owner.I agree shops do jack prices up but you have to know what your buying,how much it SHOULD cost and how much you're willing to pay.Factor in tax,shipping,and the possibilty you make a friend that can help you dive better.

#2951 - 11/30/05 09:37 PM Re: Support your local Dive Shop?
born2dive Offline
veteran

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
[QUOTE]Originally posted by scubashep:
[QB]I guess unless everyone else pays for the exotic trips and the gear from there it will fold up...However I see it a little different. They make alot more from classes than gear if they treat us right. I paid 140 bucks for a nitrox class. The manual, DVD, and dive tables were 40 bucks...like it cost that to print it. so 100 smackaroos for me to sit for 2 hours and watch a video and answer 25 questions. Then I do the dives which I pay to do also. So for one night they made 800 bucks for 2 hours of class time? Yep they did and good for them. Now when they try to sale me something for 2 times the price that I can find it somewhere else? /QUOTE]

How many times and in how many different ways does one have to be told there is no money in instruction? Instructors teach for the love of the sport period. Their expenses far outway any "profit" you may think you perceive.

Elec - it's divers like you that your local diveshop now hates to see. You always want everything for nothing. MAP (Minimal Advertised Pricing) is set by the manufacturers. Authorized dealers cannot drop their prices below this price or risk losing their dealership. BrianO is so right with what he says. [QUOTE]Unauthorized dealers pull the value out of the market place and consumers do not get the product as it was intended by the manufacturer. Unauthorized dealers usually do not have any professional level divers on staff for advice or suggestions. They usually do not teach classes, run trips, sponsor activities or even go diving. Warranties are not valid when an item is purchased from an unauthorized dealer. This means that, if there is an issue with the equipment, it must be returned ONLY to unauthorized dealer it was purchased from./QUOTE]

#2952 - 12/06/05 03:41 PM Re: Support your local Dive Shop?
PA Skinny Offline
new diver

Loc: Pennsylvania
I am going to put my two cents into this discussion. I am a newly certified open water diver. Because of the excellent (in my opinion) training I received by my instructor/dive shop owner, I was able to survive a real dive emergency on my third dive after certifiation. I didn't panic, and everything worked out OK. Yes, I paid a little more for my equipment, but I also received personalized service. The shop owner actually recommended a pair of fins he did not carry. I don't mind paying for this kind of help and advice.

#2953 - 12/10/05 11:06 AM Re: Support your local Dive Shop?
NetDoc Offline
new diver

Loc: Altmonte Springs, Fl (Orlando ...
We get this question all of the time. Until they figure out how to give air fills over the internet, we will ALWAYS need local dive shops, but their prices are killing us!

In the long run, the savvy shop owner that wants to remain in industry will adapt. Many will follow the precedent set by many online dealers[/URL] and create their own cyber shops to appeal to many divers the world over.

[ 12-11-2005, 04:46 PM: Message edited by: BrianO ]

#2954 - 12/10/05 11:46 PM Re: Support your local Dive Shop?
elec Offline
veteran

I did buy all my large purchases bc regs computers the whole package from a LDS but his prices were the same as the lowest online shop so u tell me how is he still in buisness after 15 plus years owning this shop and still keep the prices at a affordable level y is it only certain shops complaining BECAUSE U want the monopoly u dont want a shop to beable to sell it that cheap cause that would mean they r setting a guide for others to follow lower prices mean less money in ur pocket I get it but screw u for hiking it up double or more I will send everyone i know to the lowest prices that I can keep up with these shops u keep saying oooo we need to keep it high to stay in buisness . well I know of a few shops that disproved that maybe ur service sux and ppl go elsewhere this shop is in Pa too and he is doing just frikkin fine

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  BillL, BobG, Clarke, Mel, Reggie