Please contact our Scuba Diving Instructors by live chat or phone 1-800-34-SCUBA. We are standing by to answer any of your Scuba Diving questions.
Topic Options
#2669 - 08/03/03 05:36 AM Underwater Respirator
PDMacD87 Offline
new diver

Loc: Cape Cod
I am interested im making an underwater respirator for depths no more than ten feet. My plans for the respirator are as follows:
long tube, that is above waterline connected to a pump, that pumps down to the respirator. it is connected to the respirator through a one-way valve. I used a small seltzer water bottle as the actual respirator. I cut off the upper half as the actual part. I looks like a cone. So the tube is connected to the bottle through a hole in the side with a one way valve (air in), held airtight by multiple ballons and rubberbands. I have put a mouth piece on the top of the bottle, where the threads are. On the bottom of the bottle, where I cut it, there are multible ballons spanning the distance with another one way valve (air out). When air is pumped to me, i can either breathe it, or let it flow through.

Does anyone know a web site where a design like this is explained in detail?

And, How deep is it dangerous to breathe pure oxygen (like 30 feet)?

#2670 - 08/03/03 01:53 PM Re: Underwater Respirator
divealot Offline
veteran

Loc: Huntsville, AL
I would advise you to learn more about the physiology of breathing any compressed gas while underwater before you try to build anything that may cause you to kill yourself.

As for breathing pure Oxygen, depth does contribute its own factor, but the total amount of time that you are breathing it also counts. The term is Oxygen exposure. Too much O2 exposure = Oxygen toxicity = probable death if under water.

#2671 - 08/04/03 08:29 AM Re: Underwater Respirator
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sounds like an interesting project, but, a word of caution. There are several factors to be considered that affect the safety of breathing compressed air underwater. You can be seriously injured in as little as 3 feet of water. Make sure you have the proper training and formation prior to building and using any home made underwater breathing apparatus.

#2672 - 08/07/03 08:26 AM Re: Underwater Respirator
BadFish Offline
veteran

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
There are alot of things that you need to think about.

first, why are you making this? What is it that you are trying to do with this device? Do you know they already make a hooka system that allows you to reach depths of 60feet maybe even more now.

Second, you need look into O2 at depth, it becomes toxic, i would use air not o2.

Can you explain a little more what it is you want to do with this system and why you need it?

#2673 - 08/09/03 04:28 AM Re: Underwater Respirator
PDMacD87 Offline
new diver

Loc: Cape Cod
I actually meant air.
Is it safe to breathe it at depths of up to ten feet?
I want one for maintaining my boat etc..
Thanks

#2674 - 08/09/03 07:19 AM Re: Underwater Respirator
Anonymous
Unregistered

Buy the Hooka, it's safe.

It sounds like a review of your basic open water course would be important.

Greg

Moderator:  BobG, Mel, Reggie