Please contact our Scuba Diving Instructors by live chat or phone 1-800-34-SCUBA. We are standing by to answer any of your Scuba Diving questions.
Topic Options
#1684 - 10/10/01 04:19 AM Handheld GPS Tracking units
NightRaven77 Offline
avid diver

Loc: massillon, ohio usa
I am in search of a handheld GPS tracking that would be suitable for diving.I would like to log my coordinates and chart my dives with it and dont know enough infromation about them to go buy one.Im looking to spend up to about $180 on one.Any ideas which ones might be suitable for Scuba diving?

#1685 - 10/10/01 10:53 PM Re: Handheld GPS Tracking units
Infinity Offline
avid diver

Loc: MO US
Consumer gps doesn't work underwater. The signals aren't strong enough to pass through water.

#1686 - 10/11/01 01:09 AM Re: Handheld GPS Tracking units
scrappy Offline
veteran

Loc: Charlotte NC USA
That is right I the ones out on the market now are not able to handle underwater and the signals will not hold. there are tracking devices that you can carry underwater and they will point you back to the boat. check into it

#1687 - 10/11/01 02:06 AM Re: Handheld GPS Tracking units
NightRaven77 Offline
avid diver

Im sorry!!

I was looking for a Handheld GPS that I could use on a boat....not underwater....I was just wondering if the ones they have at a wal-mart or a sporting goods store would be sufficient enough....I didnt plan to use it underwater...I just want to chart it on a world map where I have done some scuba diving....I would assume they would but wasnt really sure.....

any ideas?

#1688 - 10/11/01 02:08 AM Re: Handheld GPS Tracking units
NightRaven77 Offline
avid diver

I would also like it to be able to use it on land as well as at sea....just figured I'd throw that in there as well....I have looked into some made by Garmin.....that have a marine capability....im assuming that this means it can be used at sea but want both land and sea navigation abilities....

thanks again on any light you can shed on my lil problem!!!

#1689 - 10/12/01 01:06 PM Re: Handheld GPS Tracking units
Sara Offline
avid diver

Loc: Boynton Beach, Florida
HELLO, I HAVE A HANDHELD MAGELLAN GPS 2000 THAT I HAVE USED TO MARK DIVE SPOTS AND FISHING SPOTS FOR 3 YEARS. IT IS AN OLDER MODEL BUT HAS A SCREEN TO BE USED ON LAND - THAT SHOWS A ROAD AND YOUR BEARINGS INDICATING TO CAMP. ALSO IT LISTS SEVERAL WAYPOINTS AND YOU CAN ENTER A LOCATION, SAY FOR INSTANCE ON A DIVE SPOT MAP - THE GPS COORDINATES AND FROM A BOAT DRIVE RIGHT TO THE LOCATION FLAWLESSLY.
IF I ENTER BIMINI IT WILL TELL ME HOW FAR IN DISTANCE AND AT WHAT SPEED THE BOAT IS CRUISING. MY BROTHER HAS A GARMIN HAND HELD HE USES ON HIS 35 FT. SAILBOAT AND IT WORKS FINE. OUR BOAT 25 FT SPORTFISHER HAS A LOWRANCE 85x WHICH CAN BE UPLOADED WITH CHARTS FROM ANY AREA WITH A COMPUTER AND PLACED ON THE BOAT. THIS CAN THEN DOWNLOAD ALL YOUR INFO BACK TO THE COMPUTER. THIS WAS ABOUT $600. THIS IS OVERKILL FOR YOU. THE HANDHELD IS GREAT I USE IT AS A BACKUP TO THE LOWRANCE SYSTEM AND CAN BRING IT ANYWHERE I FISH OR DIVE TO MARK A LOCATION.
JUST HIT MARK THEN ENTER PUT IN A NAME AND YOU CAN COME BACK TO THAT SPOT ANYTIME.

ON THE OTHER HAND IF YOU WANT TO LOG YOUR DIVES THERE ARE MANY COMPUTERS OCEANIC, GENESIS THAT RECORD YOUR DIVE STATISTICS BUT NOT THE LOCATION AND THEN DOWNLOAD INTO YOUR COMPUTER.
HOPE I HAVE HELPED.

Moderator:  BobG, Mel, Reggie