Please contact our Scuba Diving Instructors by live chat or phone 1-800-34-SCUBA. We are standing by to answer any of your Scuba Diving questions.
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#182 - 03/27/01 01:01 AM Re: new diver needs advice on equipment
decmike Offline
veteran

Loc: Schenectady, NY USA
All,
In defense of OneThreeSeven, you ALL need to go check out the GUE web site - thats 'GLOBAL UNDERWATER EXPLORERS' - everything that OneThreeSeven is stating you'll pretty much find on GUE's web site. GUE divers are on the cutting edge of not only cavern exploring, but wreck diving. They are BIG endorsers of the Halcyon twin tank backpack system, manifolds, BC wings and isolator valves. The most interesting thing about their system is their beliefs on primary regs and octo's. Go see how they put their primary on a 7' hose vs. the usual 36" hose, and where they attach THEIR OCTO's.

PS In OneThreeSeven's defense, again, you won't find a single GUE diver wearing a snorkel. Why? because these guys SCUBA DIVE, not SKIN DIVE. The GUE System is based on sound, safe and extremely SIMPLISTIC functional systems - which has nothing to do with styles, trends, etc. Go check it out for yourselves - OneThreeSeven isn't as stupid as you think! ANY divers that get into multi-stage decompression on REALLY DEEP dives, with staging tanks and such like these guys do, is not fool.

#183 - 03/26/01 08:54 PM Re: new diver needs advice on equipment
Mac8 Offline
veteran

Ok and those are all very valid points for cave divers. However what started this thread is a young lady who had no training and no experience wanting some advice on getting started with basic recreational scuba diving. NOT cave diving. Gotta learn the basics before you begin looking at something as advanced as cave diving.

#184 - 03/28/01 07:03 PM Re: new diver needs advice on equipment
DeepDiveDan Offline
avid diver

Loc: Kansas City, MO
I agree with the other response. If you are not certified yet, wait on the big ticket items to make sure you will stay with to sport and determine how much of it you will do and to what extent. Depending on where you will do most of your diving, may determine what gear you buy; for example: deep water, cold water, how ofter you will dive.. You may e-mail me if you would like more info.
Dan
quote:
Originally posted by Danielle:
I need to go buy my fins, mask, gloves, snorkel, suit. I dont know anything about scuba yet my first class is coming next month.I dont want to over spend but I would like to get what will last and what works well. If anyone can help??? thanks danielle

#185 - 03/29/01 06:29 PM Re: new diver needs advice on equipment
Rebecca Offline
veteran

You canít just assume an open water diver is not going to snorkel. I love the Halcyon products, and the 7-foot hose is a great idea but lets try to stay on the point here. I have certified a lot of open water divers who have never snorkeled prior to the class. Snorkeling is a crucial part of my instruction, as divers will inevitably beach dive, encounter strong currents, or swim through rough swells. We are not talking about a cave diver or even an advanced diver we are talking about weather or not a beginner diver needs to buy a snorkel. I say DEFINATLY!

#186 - 04/07/01 05:22 AM Re: new diver needs advice on equipment
scuba1066 Offline
veteran

Loc: Oneida, NY
Hi All,
Your response to the D.I.R. (Halcyon) system is the 'standard' argument that DIR receives all the time - "That system wouldn't apply to *me* - I don't do cave or wreck diving." The DIR system *is* also a great sport diving system - while DIR was founded by cave & wreck divers, the utter *simplicity* and safety features it affords is of value to all divers - it is something that *all* divers can use safely and learn from! Curious - go do a SEARCH using GLOBAL UNDERWATER EXPLORERS. Sport diving is great, but next time you go diving, take a look at 90% of the divers dragging their octo's in the silt, try and *find* them dangling all of the place, and notice just *how* many divers actually put their octo in the "Golden Triangle" - as PADI calls it. Also, there are 10 differant gadgets sold to hold your octo - 1/2 of them don't allow an OOA diver to get to your rig fast enough! I'd veture to bet that less than 10% of *all* BC's out there on the market currently allow one to actually place that octo in that triangle for an OOA emergency! No kidding - take a look next time you go diving.....most modern gear is designed to look very 'tactical' and cool - D-rings all over the place, etc. but few are really designed with where the hell you are going to attach the octo to! Most attach the octo down near your thigh - totally unacceptable for an OOA emergency! I don't know about *you* all, but if I ever experience an OOA emergency (or my dive Buddy does) I want that octo where he/I can get to is FAST and not have to *hunt* to find it! The DIR system it utter simplicity! One last thought - TRY and look down at your feet or waist when you have a typical BC jacket on! Bet you CAN'T see them! Curious - go look at GLOBAL UNDERWATER EXPLORERS web site! Its an education!

#187 - 04/08/01 03:47 PM Re: new diver needs advice on equipment
rstone Offline
veteran

Loc: Jacksonville, FL USA
now that our GUE commerical has concluded
we now bring you back to our regular programming..

#188 - 04/12/01 02:02 PM Re: new diver needs advice on equipment
scuba1066 Offline
veteran

Long live DIR & GUE - and I don't even dive Wrecks OR Caves!

#189 - 04/12/01 02:06 PM Re: new diver needs advice on equipment
Rebecca Offline
veteran

This post is cracking me up! To think it started with which snorkel to buy

#190 - 04/14/01 11:36 AM Re: new diver needs advice on equipment
scuba1066 Offline
veteran

Yeah,
Thats because there is a misconception about the usefulness of snorkels. In response to this:

OneThreeSeven is what I would call a "dinosaur diver"

Hardly - OneThreeSeven knows what he's talking about. OneThreeSeven is a classic spokesman for the DIR system of diving - and, by the way, DIR isn't ONLY for cave diving and wreck diving - ALL divers can benefit from the DIR no-nonsense approach! OneThreeSeven is the safest diver I've ever spoken to.

#191 - 04/14/01 08:24 PM Re: new diver needs advice on equipment
scuba1066 Offline
veteran

Snorkels are DANGEROUS and lead to 'task loading' in OW - WHY submerge your face into the water (unless you are truly snorkeling) when you can simply inflate your BC or wings, and swim on your back all day long? You can talk with your Bud, look *ahead* instead of *underwater* and not risk inhalation of water! Why?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  BobG, Mel, Reggie