Please contact our Scuba Diving Instructors by live chat or phone 1-800-34-SCUBA. We are standing by to answer any of your Scuba Diving questions.
Topic Options
#1606 - 09/06/01 08:55 AM Vest/ Jacket BC vs. Back inflated BC
Anonymous
Unregistered

Forgive my ignorance. I am new to diving with a very recent PADI certification. My question is, What is the difference between Vest/Jacket BC and Back inflated BC? What are the advantages/disadvantages to both.
Thank you in advance.

#1607 - 09/07/01 01:58 PM Re: Vest/ Jacket BC vs. Back inflated BC
Anonymous
Unregistered

The vest style BC inflates chambers all-around the body (front and back). The back inflated BC is as the name suggests, only inflates a bladder around the tank. My preference is the back inflated for two primary reasons. One reason is you tend to level off better with less tendency to roll from side to side. The other main reason is I find they release air easier during ascents/descents and working your boyancy control. Another reason that may not apply to the recreational diver is some of the back inflateables have the ability to switch bladders from the standard 45 lb lift upto 85 lbs of lift. These are the technical reasons, the other consideration is comfort. I remember during my training renting the vest type and at the surface I'd have it filled completely with air squezing my lungs so then you losen for comfort. When you descend and release the air (which sometimes has to be squezed out because it gets trapped in the vest) the vest becomes loose. With my back inflated it has a harness that fits the same at the top as it does at the bottom and the bladder expands outward from the back. The BC is a critical part of your scuba enjoyment choose wisely. Hope this helps. Have big fun diving!

[This message has been edited by Zoid (edited 09-07-2001).]

#1608 - 09/07/01 08:59 PM Re: Vest/ Jacket BC vs. Back inflated BC
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the info, With the lack of experience, I did not want to make an uneducated assumption. I will definitly keep in mind your opinions when purchasing my new equipment.

#1609 - 09/08/01 05:48 AM Re: Vest/ Jacket BC vs. Back inflated BC
kwesler Offline
veteran

for further info on gear, not specific brands but philosophy, I recommend you check out www.gue.com The advantages of a back inflation bc, specifically backplate and wings, is discussed, along with reg set up etc.

#1610 - 09/09/01 01:18 PM Re: Vest/ Jacket BC vs. Back inflated BC
EricF Offline
veteran

Loc: CA
Most new diver will choice a jacket style to get into diving. It is typically the best all around BC on the market. It will work well traveling and any local diving you do. As your training and experience progress you will discover personal benefits to each style. If you have the opportunity to try both do so! This will help in the long run.

[This message has been edited by EricF (edited 09-10-2001).]

#1611 - 09/10/01 04:23 PM Re: Vest/ Jacket BC vs. Back inflated BC
frog man Offline
veteran

Loc: cancun mx.
wings are streamlined with less drag

Moderator:  BillL, BobG, Clarke, Mel, Reggie