Please contact our Scuba Diving Instructors by live chat or phone 1-800-34-SCUBA. We are standing by to answer any of your Scuba Diving questions.
Topic Options
#1415 - 08/01/01 12:43 AM fins for large wide feet
adndvr Offline
just got here

I am relatively new to diving, but I am getting more and more hooked. So far, I have always rented gear, but I think it's time to get my own.

However, I happen to carry with me a set of rather nonstandard feet: large (US size 13) and - what's more important - very wide. The painful problem I encounter every time I dive is that whatever fins I try, I end up crying under water when the fin pockets squeeze the sides of my feet.

Does anyone has a recommendation for a fin with extra wide pockets? The width of the pockets will have to be the primary criterion; design/performance will have to take the back seat.

(I guess the obvious answer is that with feet that large and that wide, who needs fins! Unfortunately, I do not have webbing between toes...)

Of the rented fins I tried, ScubaPro Twin Jets were the least painful. Atomic Aquatics SplitFins were distant second.

Thanks!

#1416 - 07/31/01 02:56 PM Re: fins for large wide feet
Rebecca Offline
veteran

The Genesis Aquaflex in XL run super wide! You can also get the Apollo Bio fin in XL and not have to give up the performance.

#1417 - 08/01/01 09:05 AM Re: fins for large wide feet
martinjc Offline
avid diver

Loc: Columbus, OH, USA
I have size 14 feet and purchased the XL Genesis Aquaflex from DiversDiscount - they fit great!

#1418 - 08/07/01 12:11 AM Re: fins for large wide feet
bpadivers Offline
veteran

Loc: Roswell, NM
SCUBApro twinjet. I have wide feet as well, they are the only split fins I have found that will fit

#1419 - 08/06/01 02:01 PM Re: fins for large wide feet
Rebecca Offline
veteran

I just sold a pair of Apollo Bio fins to a guy with a wide size 15 foot. I don't think you will have a problem fitting into the Bio-fin with a wide size 13.
If you are looking for a split fin the Apollo was rated the best by scuba lab.

Moderator:  BobG, Mel, Reggie