Please contact our Scuba Diving Instructors by live chat or phone 1-800-34-SCUBA. We are standing by to answer any of your Scuba Diving questions.
Topic Options
#1218 - 06/26/01 08:45 AM Yoke vs Din Valve
heebeha Offline
just got here

Registered: 06/26/01
Posts: 1
Loc: Islandia, NY USA
Whats the differnce between a YOKE and DIN valve and which one is the most universal vale to choose when purchasing a regulator. I appologize for my ignorance. Its been a couple years since I was certified. I know one is more universal. I live in the US and want to use my equip on trips all over the world and the US.

Thank you in advance...

#1219 - 06/26/01 10:55 AM Re: Yoke vs Din Valve
jshimmer Offline

Registered: 06/02/01
Posts: 21
Loc: Detroit, MI, USA
The yoke screws ON TO the tank valve, while the DIN screws INTO the tank. Yokes are popular here, while the DIN is popular in Europe.

Most decent regulators have a realtively inexpensive DIN conversion, so you would okay no matter where you were.

#1220 - 06/26/01 11:00 AM Re: Yoke vs Din Valve
wetyet Offline
avid diver

Registered: 06/20/01
Posts: 11
The DIN valve is used for high-pressure steel tanks. The other style, the yoke or K-valve is for aluminum tanks and 3000 lb. steel tanks. The K-valve style is by far the most common. If and when you travel out of the states to dive, you will probably need the K-valve style first-stage--I don't think you can rent high-pressure tanks in most other places out of the U.S. One possibility is-if you use a DIN valve-you could purchase an adapter to convert over to the K-valve when you needed, that way you would have the best of both worlds without having to go to the dive shop to have your first-stage converted back and forth.

#1221 - 06/27/01 11:27 AM Re: Yoke vs Din Valve
frog man Offline

Registered: 11/15/00
Posts: 22
Loc: cancun mx.
The DIN valve is most reliable to o´ring failure,and is becoming popular among cave-cavern divers

#1222 - 06/28/01 01:44 PM Re: Yoke vs Din Valve
Rebecca Offline

Registered: 11/06/00
Posts: 561
You will find the K valve on most rental tanks.


Moderator:  BobG, Mel, Reggie