Please contact our Scuba Diving Instructors by live chat or phone 1-800-34-SCUBA. We are standing by to answer any of your Scuba Diving questions.
Topic Options
#1087 - 06/13/01 12:09 AM BCD'S
A-DIVER Offline
just got here

Loc: Trinidad
Hi guys
Am well i have always wondered what is the definition of a good BCD ,can you advise on this please
thank you very much,
Amit Raval

#1088 - 06/12/01 03:22 PM Re: BCD'S
CSdivers Offline
avid diver

There are tons of quality Bcs out there, and there are a handful of not so great ones. I think the first thing you should think about is what type of diving you will be doing, and what you expect/want out of your bc. Personly I am into tek divin, so ivve got the OMS setup. Sea Quest, Aqua Lung, Mares and zeagle make very nice bcs, check out thier website and see the design features your interested in. Then goto your local dive shop and get fitted. Fit and comfort level is most inportaant, so i would advise to goto your local dive shop and have them show you what they currently have. The Sea Quest Balance is one of my favorites!.

Adam

#1089 - 06/14/01 01:10 AM Re: BCD'S
jmsdiver Offline
veteran

Loc: USA
Would agree with the above while adding the type of BC that you choose must have sufficient lift for the type of equipment and diving conditions that you'll be diving in. Technical divers, such as CS, require tremendous lift capacity due to the amount of equipment that they take with them to the depths below. However, the diver in the carribean doesn't need as much lift due to the lack of equipment necessities.

So, fit, comfort, amount of lift based on diving equipment and situations. If you may eventually expand your horizons, might I suggest a BCD that will grow with your needs: a modular system such as the X-Tec from Scubapro or the Dive Rite system.

Happy diving

Moderator:  BobG, Mel, Reggie